Trouble with single season, multi-method input and analyses

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

Trouble with single season, multi-method input and analyses

Postby kamiles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm having some trouble inputting data for a single season, multi-method analysis. I'm not sure if this is due to a software problem, or just user error.

When opening the data input form, I specify the number of sites that I have, and that there are 14 survey events per season, each surveyed with 2 different methods. The correct number of rows and columns appears, along with the correct column headers showing survey method and survey number. When I try to paste my detection data from Excel, the column headers and number of surveys and methods per survey changes, so that it now says that I have 28 surveys, with only 1 method.

I couldn't figure out how to switch the column headers and survey/methods per surveys back to the correct numbers, so I tried saving the file anyway, and then running a single-season, multi-method analysis. I got an error message from my computer that PRESENCE stopped working and has to shut down, followed by an error message from PRESENCE saying that the program has encountered an error, and to check the input/design matrix files.

The same error messages occur when I attempt to manually change the .txt file after using the data input form to reflect the correct number of survey events and methods.

I've been able to successfully run single-method analyses with the same detection history files in Excel, and have verified that all of the cells contain valid characters (1, 0, or ".").

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kat
kamiles

Re: Trouble with single season, multi-method input and analy

Postby jhines » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Kat,

Sorry for the trouble you're having with that model. I hadn't made up my mind how I wanted to add the input for the number of methods initially, so I just used the number of surveys per season for it. Later, when I added the multi-season, multi-method model, that didn't work. So, I combined the two fields (number of surveys per season and number of methods into 1 input field, with a semi-colon separating them. I'm working on an update to the program to make it more clear (with 2 input fields).

In the meantime, you can make sure the field labelled "No. occasions/season" contains "28;2" for 28 survey events, with 2 methods.

Since the paste operation resets the number of rows and columns (and column labels), you should do that first, then change the number of methods to 2. Then, save the pao file, close the input data form, and make sure the "No. occasions/season" contains "28;2". I hope to have an updated version of the program on the website by tomorrow.

Jim
jhines

Return to software problems/news