Trouble checking for newer versions

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

Trouble checking for newer versions

Postby Jim Tietz » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi,

I have trouble checking for newer versions of PRESENCE within the program. When I go to Tools and click on "Check web-site for new version," I get a message that states, "can't connect to www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov". In order check for and download the newer version, I uninstalled the old presence from my computer and loaded the newer version from the website. Although, I can keep doing this, it would be easier to just have the program check for a newer version. Am I alone with this problem? If anyone else out there experienced this problem and fixed it, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Tietz

Re: Trouble checking for newer versions

Postby cooch » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:25 pm

Jim Tietz wrote:Hi,

I have trouble checking for newer versions of PRESENCE within the program. When I go to Tools and click on "Check web-site for new version," I get a message that states, "can't connect to www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov". In order check for and download the newer version, I uninstalled the old presence from my computer and loaded the newer version from the website. Although, I can keep doing this, it would be easier to just have the program check for a newer version. Am I alone with this problem? If anyone else out there experienced this problem and fixed it, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Jim

I never did get it to work robustly on my end either, which is why I use more brute force methods to check for new versions of things (I'll spare you the technical details). If Jim and Darryl want me to mirror PRESENCE on the phidot server, I can create a simple script to check the time stamp on the latest build (which is what I now currently use for MARK). A bit of a kludge, but it does the trick.
cooch

checking for newer version of PRESENCE

Postby jhines » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Increased security hardware/software at USGS caused PRESENCE to not be able to check the date on our web-server. I've modified PRESENCE so it works with the new security checks.
jhines

Return to software problems/news