Model averaging for multiseason models

questions concerning analysis/theory using program PRESENCE

Model averaging for multiseason models

Postby Daisy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:14 am

Hi there :)

Is this feature working properly right now? I'm not sure if this is an error on my part or a bug in the software. I was using PRESENCE 9.9, got the error, and upgraded to 10.0 just in case. Still getting the error.

I'm trying to run models with p varying by various covariates in a multiseason model. When I do model averaging, the bottom of the results browser says "mod-avg: parameter 1", and earlier it got up to parameter 10. No text file ever comes up with the results of the model averaging, and a few times the black command line interface window said "error opening pres_modavg.txt". The bottom of the results browser continues to say, "mod-avg: parameter 1" after waiting several minutes. I went to my project folder and opened the pres_modavg.txt file manually after closing PRESENCE and it cuts off before the estimate of the first parameter.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time,
Daisy
Daisy

Re: Model averaging for multiseason models

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:06 pm

So...

I'm having this same issue with a different set of data on a different computer, also running PRESENCE 10.0.

Has anyone else tried model averaging lately to see if it works? I used the feature successfully in the past so I'm not sure what's going wrong now. The only thing I can think of is that I have been keeping my data and model outputs on a flash drive so I can use it on multiple computers, although I don't know why that should affect it.

[edit: I completely remade my PRESENCE file and re-ran all the models from scratch with the file saved on the computer instead of flashdrive. Made no difference]

Anyway... if anyone sees this, can you please try out model averaging and let me know if it works, or if you have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks, Daisy
Daisy

Postby jhines » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:00 pm

I've uploaded a new version of PRESENCE (10.2), which fixes the mod. avg. bug.

Jim
jhines

Postby Daisy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Thank you!

I'm not trying to be obtuse but... it still won't work for me :lol: . It still gives me the same errors. Maybe I didn't correctly install from the zip files?

The other install link still installs 10.0
Daisy

Postby jhines » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I forgot to mention that the reason the model averaging wasn't working is that I changed the format of the output a little, without realizing it would impact the mod.avg routine. I changed the format to the way it was, but that means you'll have to re-run your models in order to have the right output format of the estimates for the mod.avg. routine to read. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you don't have a lot of models, you can just use the 'retrieve model' menu option in the design matrix input form, then give the model a new name and delete the old model. If there are a lot of models, I suggest copying the input pao file to a new folder, create a new project from that, then use the 'run from file' menu to run all models.

Jim
jhines

Postby Daisy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Great, thank you! I'll do that :)

[edit] EUREKA! it works! Thank you so much
Daisy

Postby pennyb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Hello,

I have run into the same issue that Daisy had for model averaging of a multiseason model. I'm running PRESENCE 2.12.22.

I've tried re-running models, but it seems to get stuck before the text file opens (bottom of the results browser reports mod-avg: parameter 9)

Is there a new bug or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance

Penny
pennyb

Postby jhines » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Penny,

Would you mind sending me the latest backup zipfile in your project folder?

Jim (jhines@usgs.gov)
jhines

Postby pennyb » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:12 am

Hi Jim,

Apologies for bringing up the dead.. I'm reviewing my last multi-season project referenced above, running PRESENCE 2.13.6, and am getting the same issue with opening model-averaging: error opening pres_modavg.txt. I can't find the solution from a couple of years ago, would you mind reminding me?

Thanks, Penny
pennyb

Return to analysis help