problems running Esurge in 32bit system

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to M-SURGE, E-SURGE and U-CARE

problems running Esurge in 32bit system

Postby sandra » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am

Hello,

I am experiencing some problems running Esurge in 32bit system. I have a pretty huge CR dataset, for example I just tried to run a multistate model on 73 states, and 76 individuals (but the problem concerns all datasets), and when I call Gemaco, I have the following error message :

Error using Mturlututu
Undetermined error in GEMACO

Error in gemacoV4 (line 51)

Error in interface_gemaco_evt_V4>callGemaco (line 935)

Error in interface_gemaco_evt_V4>Doall_Callback (line 1293)

Error in gui_mainfcn (line 96)

Error in interface_gemaco_evt_V4 (line 52)

Error in
@(hObject,eventdata)interface_gemaco_evt_V4('Doall_Callback' ,hObject,eventdata,guidata(hObject))

Error using waitfor
Erro while evaluationg unimenu Callback

The main problem (and I should have start with this) is that the same model, with the same datas is running properly with any computer under 64bit system, so obviously there is no problem with my datas...
I would like to know if somebody is experiencing the same issue with Esurge 32bit, or maybe there is some limitations with this version, I have no idea of what is happening, maybe somebody here could help me...I read other topics but I've no found any solutions here.

Many thanks (in advance!)

Sandra
sandra

Re: problems running Esurge in 32bit system

Postby CHOQUET » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:53 am

Hello,

I am a bit afraid that you fit a 73 states model with 76 individuals but who knows ...

The main difference between a 32 and 64 bit system is that you can manage more
than 4Gbit of memory with a 64bit system.

I think that your model used a lot of memory and that you don't have enough memory
with a 32 bit system.

Rémi
CHOQUET

Postby sandra » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:42 am

Ok thank you for this quick answer, I just have to found 64 bit computers!

To be more precise with the dataset, it was just an example, there is others wich contains more individuals, and the states are in fact corresponding to the occasions, to goal is to estimate the duration of the season, the probabilities to stay and to leave day after day etc...

Thanks again
sandra

Postby CHOQUET » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 am

If your goal is to estimate the duration then an appropriate framework is to use a semi-Markovian state.
See for example:

Choquet, R., Guédon, Y., Besnard, A., Guillemain, M., Pradel, R. (2013) "Estimating Stop over Duration in presence of trap-effects." Ecological Modelling, 250: 111-118
CHOQUET

Return to software problems/news