MSURGE error messages

questions concerning analysis/theory using programs M-SURGE, E-SURGE and U-CARE

MSURGE error messages

Postby Mark Trinder » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:10 am

Hi

I cannot get MSurge to run properly, and have tried the obvious tricks of uninstalling/re-installing.
Here's an example of the errors I get, using the Hestbeck file packaged with UCare and running a constant parameter model. The model runs ok, but then before completing (after the 'rankmodel = ...' output) I get this:

'The file name association is incomplete or invalid.
Error in ==> winopen at 39

Error in ==> menumsurge_age>Run_Callback at 1107

Error in ==> gui_mainfcn at 75

Error in ==> menumsurge_age at 42

error while evaluating uicontrol Callback.'

and the program halts. In the main window the 'Running...(wait)' message
remains.

Extra info: I am using Win XP and have Matlab 7 installed. I have also changed the path as described in the UCare manual. UCare seems to run ok. I thought I might be able to track down the problem in the named files myself, but opening them in Meditor just gives a load of scrambled text - deliberate I presume!?

any suggestions Remi?

cheers
Mark
Mark Trinder

Postby CHOQUET » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:38 am

Hello Mark,

The problem you encountered, appears because associations (done automatically during installation for windows XP) sometimes failed.
Hopefully, it can be done by hand easily.

M-Surge results are saved in files with extension ".out" (e.g. "model1.out"). They can be accessed from M-SURGE provided an editor is associated to this extension. To activate this possibility by hand, prior to running M-SURGE associate files with extension ".out" to an editor. This can be done simply by creating a text file named, say, tempo.out, and following the dialogue after having double-clicked on this file. Because of potential side effects we recommend you choose "Wordpad" ( never "Notepad" ). Don't forget to check "always use this program to open this kind of file".

Sincerely,

Rémi
CHOQUET

M-Surge : error "out of memory"

Postby Guillaume Souchay » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:51 am

Hello

I want to run M-Surge for the JMV-type model : Phi(f.t.a2.g.c)P(f.to.t).Psi(f.to.t) as a general model for my study, where a2= a(1 2,3:24) g is a group for the sex.
I compute my model with Gemaco, it's ok, I've no pb with the IVFV windows, so I click "Run" and the following message appeared :

Error using ==> unknown
Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
Error in ==> gradldamvt_by_age at 35

Error in ==> gradv11_by_age at 123

Error in ==> f at 26

Error in ==> fminunc_bis at 151

Error in ==> menumsurge_age>Run_callback at 880

Error in ==> gui_mainfcn at 75

Error in ==> menumsurge_age at 42

Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback

What can I do to solve this problem?

Config system: XP Pro SP, P4 3.4GHz 3.00Go Ram

Thanks,

Guillaume
Guillaume Souchay

Postby CHOQUET » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 am

concercing:

> I compute my model with Gemaco, it's ok, I've no pb with the IVFV
> windows, so I click "Run" and the following message appeared :

> Error using ==> unknown
> Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
> Error in ==> gradldamvt_by_age at 35

> Error in ==> gradv11_by_age at 123

There is not enough memory to run this model perhaps due to the
actual limitation of M-SURGE. Future version will be improved.

However, there is perhaps two possible replies to this problem:

1) reduce the number of age classes to the minimum if it is not already done, here set the maximum number of age classes to A=3.

2) if 1) is not enough then do not used the analytical gradient

Sincerely,

Rémi
CHOQUET

Postby Guillaume Souchay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:25 am

Hello

After talking about age classes with my director, we need 3 age classes : a(1,2,3:24). I also put 3 in the age-classes box (in data status) in the main windows of M-Surge. And now some more complicated models work.
But for a simplier JMV model {Phi(f.t),P(t+g),Psi(t)}, M-Surge computes only 1 iteration and indicates :

RC : Failling with the LineSearch ;

Gemaco : Capture : t+g
Survival : f.t
Transition : t

The group means the sex in data, male : "1 0" and female "0 1"

Thanks a lot to answer all my newbie question :)
Guillaume Souchay

Postby CHOQUET » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 am

I guess that it is due to a bad starting value. Just try random starting value and see what happen.

Furthermore, to my opinion the model

Gemaco : Capture : t+g
Survival : f.t
Transition : t

has not meaning because the transition should be site dependant (f.to.t).
Perhaps, I have missed something.

Sincerely,

Rémi
CHOQUET

Re: MSURGE error messages

Postby mia.w » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 am

Hi,

I am having a similar problem with some of my models.

I work on presence/absence data of lactating fur seal females. When they are on land with their pups and when they are at sea foraging. I have two states (on land and at sea), 1 age class, 18 groups (3 groups per year where the groups are pup sexes, i.e. female in year1, male in year 2, unknown sex year 1; female in year 2, male in year 2, unknown sex in year 2 etc.

The number of observations is 152, which consists of 2 seasons - summer and winter.

Survival is based on seasons. I know from my data that a female survived within a season but not between.
So I programmed it like this
Survival: t(1:59,60,61:151) where t(1:59) is summer and t(61:151) is winter. These I set as constant to 1 with IFVF. t(60) I let the model estimate. As I was explained by someone that uses M-surge regularly, this will allow for females to "die" between seasons.

Based on AIC values and parameter estimates the best explanation for Transition is state.season.year+sex in other words, I coded it like this.
Transition: from.to.t(1:59,60:151).g(1:3,4:6,7:9,10:12,13:15,16:18)+ g(1 4 7 10 13 16, 2 5 8 11 14 17, 3 6 9 12 15 18)

Now I am trying to find the best model using the aforementioned values/parameters for survival and transition to find the best parameters for capture probability by trying different combinations of state, season, sex and year.
Obviously when the female is at sea the capture probability is 0. So my basic 'state' coding is like this:
to(2)+to(1) where I set to(2) in IFVF to zero. But now when I make the capture probability somewhat more complex by adding more parameters I either get a error message "OUT OF MEMORY" or with some other ones "Failling with linesearch" I only manage to include one or two parameters for capture probability. I.e using sex or year, but not both.

I have tried your suggestion by changing my initial values to "Random". I have also installed the latest MCR 7.16 and appropriate M-surge, but still no luck.

Any suggestions? Would running the models on a computer with more memory resolve this problem?

Thank you,
Mia
mia.w

Re: MSURGE error messages

Postby CHOQUET » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 am

Hello,
You have a lack of memory in our computer because the number of occasions is quite high.
If your computer is 64 bit then download the 64 bit version of M,E-SURGE.
E-SURGE also manage in a better way the memory.
Sincerely,
Rémi
CHOQUET

Return to analysis help