rotating panel design

questions concerning anlysis/theory using program DENSITY and R package secr. Focus on spatially-explicit analysis.

rotating panel design

Postby yzharikov » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello,
I have a set of 42 hair snares that are sampled/deployed three times in three consecutive random subsets (w/o resampling) of 14 within a session (year) so that each snare has three sampling occasions within a session.

Question: when I construct the capture and trap files for secr modelling, should I
(i) code the trap file with usage , whereby each detector has three 1s and six 0s like this 111000000 and accordingly assign detections to one of 9 occurrences across the full set of traps

OR

(ii) consider this design as having three occurrences (each detector sampled three times within the session, just not all of them at once) and thus the trap file will only have trapID, X, Y fields and in the capture file detections will be coded to three occasions?

Thank you!
Yuri Zharikov
yzharikov

Re: rotating panel design

Postby murray.efford » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm

I suspect these approaches are equivalent for proximity detectors when there is no temporal variation in detection, but I would have automatically gone for the first as that represents directly what you did.
murray.efford

Re: rotating panel design

Postby yzharikov » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 pm

Thank you. I much appreciate the answer. And yes, for one-season model they give the same answer. I have not tried multi-season yet.
yzharikov

Return to analysis help