Program RELEASE won't install

Forum for discussion of general questions related to study design and/or analysis of existing data - software neutral.

Program RELEASE won't install

Postby SoConfused » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Not sure if it's in the right forum, but will try anyway.

I recently switched to a new computer. I'm now trying to install RELEASE again. When I open the exe file, I get an error notification:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program".

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit OS. The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure that's what my old computer had, too... Help?
SoConfused

Re: Program RELEASE won't install

Postby gwhite » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm

REL_32.exe should be installed in your MARK installation subdirectory if you have installed MARK.
gwhite

Postby cooch » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:11 pm

gwhite wrote:REL_32.exe should be installed in your MARK installation subdirectory if you have installed MARK.

Perhaps more to the point, while you can still download RELEASE as a standalone application from the PWRC, I don't think that version plays nice with OS > WinXp. Motivation to change that circumstance is probably pretty small, since hardly anyone runs RELEASE as a standalone application anymore -- it is most commonly called from within MARK (although as Gary pointed out, you can run the rel_32.exe as a standalone application -- the mechanics of doing so is actually discussed in Chapter 5 of the MARK book).
cooch

Postby SoConfused » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:01 am

Of course! MARK wasn't installed on the new machine. Thank you!
SoConfused

Return to analysis & design questions