recommended compiler | SURVIV

questions concerning analysis/theory using software from the Patuxent Software Archive

recommended compiler | SURVIV

Postby egc » Fri May 16, 2003 3:17 pm

Jim -

:?: What is your favorite FORTRAN comipler these days (in other words, if we wanted to use the same environment you use for SURVIV work, what would you suggest?)

Thanks!
egc
Site Admin

compiler query pt II

Postby cooch » Fri May 16, 2003 4:11 pm

Also, is there revised/updated documentation for SURVIV - i.e., have you tweaked the text any recently?
cooch

Re: recommended compiler | SURVIV

Postby cooch » Thu May 29, 2003 9:00 pm

egc wrote:Jim -

:?: What is your favorite FORTRAN comipler these days (in other words, if we wanted to use the same environment you use for SURVIV work, what would you suggest?)

Thanks!

I'm using the Digital compiler (at least, Digital used to own it, I think Compaq does now). Is it still your main standard? I ask because its easier soemtimes to ask questions (some of which are compiler related) if I'm using the same environment.

Thanks!
cooch

FORTRAN compiler

Postby jhines » Thu May 29, 2003 10:05 pm

Evan,

For development, I like the Digital/Compaq compiler. It's pretty good for debugging and doesn't choke on large programs.

If I intend to distribute the FORTRAN code, I usually run it through the gnu FORTRAN compiler (g77) after debugging to make sure it will work on almost any system.

A while back, I had some time and I converted SURVIV from FORTRAN to C. ( With the memory management routines in C, I could avoid the need to recompile when cohorts or classes got big. ) I don't think I've done anything to the FORTRAN version lately.

Jim
jhines

Re: FORTRAN compiler

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2003 8:57 am

A while back, I had some time and I converted SURVIV from FORTRAN to C. ( With the memory management routines in C, I could avoid the need to recompile when cohorts or classes got big. ) I don't think I've done anything to the FORTRAN version lately.

Thanks Jim -

Interesting - so is the canonical standard you're using these days the C-code version, and if so:

(i) what significant changes (if any) for the 'end-user' are there in building the code?

(ii) any speed differences?

(iii) any particular C compiler? I havef gcc on most of my machines (because is pretty 'standard', and the price is right :wink: I also have some product from Micro$oft that I got for some other purposes, but haven't used it much.

Thanks!

Return to analysis help