forum FAQ

About this forum...FAQ, and various tips and tricks to make using the forum easier and more effective

forum FAQ

Postby egc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

Updated periodically...

background - This online discussion forum was 'brought to life' 15 May, 2003. It is built on the phpBB code-base, with lots of tweaks and hacks to enhance utility for users of the forum (some of the more 'visual' enhancements are described here). The primary intent of this forum is to make it easy to ask questions, and keep an indexed (and easily searched) archive of answers (the ever-growing 'knowledge' base).

1. - registration - anyone can register for the forum, provided they have a clear and demonstrable connection to the subjects being discussed in the forum. In order to complete the registration, you may be prompted (by email) to provide several levels of verification. New users should read the following documentation, here

2. - forum mailings - if you want to receive a copy of everything added to the forum, or particular subforums (initial questions, replies...), you need to modify your 'subscriptions' (done via the UCP - user control panel). This is covered in some detail in the forum documentation (see link in preceding item). See also the following:

What is the difference between bookmarking and subscribing?

Bookmarking in phpBB3 is much like bookmarking in your web browser. You aren’t alerted when there’s an update, but you can come back to the topic later. Subscribing, however, will notify you when there is an update to the topic or forum on the board via your preferred method or methods.

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?

To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.

How do I remove my subscriptions?

To remove your subscriptions, go to your User Control Panel and follow the links to your subscriptions.

3. - why can't I upload attachments, create an avatar, or add signatures? Why can't I change my email address after I've registered? Simple. Those features are turned off, since they will either bog down the system - and it's users (especially attachments), and since they generally take up server bandwidth and space for little general benefit. Various other restrictions are imposed to minimize the risk of spammers using the forum.

4. - where can I get one of those cool phidot.org t-shirts? - Simply point your browser here.
egc
Site Admin

Return to forum FAQ, tips & tricks