Instructions for installing MARK on macOS Catalina

posts related to the RMark library, which may not be of general interest to users of 'classic' MARK

Instructions for installing MARK on macOS Catalina

Postby fbude » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Four years ago, Koons provided instructions for installing MARK on macOS X Yosemite and El Capitan, but informed me that the directions don't work for Catalina and hadn't figured out a workaround. I tweaked what he provided and succeeded in getting MARK installed on my Mac as well as about seven others of various ages.

I wrote these directions for students who have no experience using the terminal, so it isn't nearly as taxing as it appears. I hope someone finds it useful!

1. Download gfortran
a. Go to http://hpc.sourceforge.net/.
b. Download TWO binaries for Catalina (gcc-9.2-bin.tar.gz and gfortran-9.2-bin.tar.gz).
c. Open Spotlight Search (upper right corner magnifying class), type terminal, hit the enter/return key.
d. Type the lines of code below, hitting the enter/return key at the end of each line. Sometimes you will be asked to enter your computer password; when you type your password nothing will appear in the terminal…don’t worry you are typing.
Code: Select all
cd ~/Downloads
gunzip gfortran-9.2-bin.tar
gunzip gcc-9.2-bin.tar
sudo tar -xvf gfortran-9.2-bin.tar -C /
sudo tar -xvf gcc-9.2-bin.tar -C /

e. Test to make sure gfortran was installed. Type
gfortran
into the terminal. It should say "gfortran: fatal error: no input files" (this is good!).

2. Download MARK
a. Go to http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/rmark/linux/.
b. Go to the section of the page where you see this text: “For OS/X, grab the files archived here. The archive contains a 64-bit only version of the MARK executable” and click the word “here.” A file called mark will download. Note: When I click “here,” I end up with one file called mark even though the linked file is actually a Zip file. If you end up with a Zip file as the download, click on the Zip file in your downloads folder and your computer should extract the mark file.
c. Move the mark file to your desktop (click and drag from downloads folder).
d. If you try to open the file by double-clicking it, you will be told that the developer can't be identified and therefore the file can't be opened. Instead, click the file while holding down the control key and select "open" from the menu that appears. You can then confirm you want to open the file despite the developer not being identified. Exit the program after it opens; it won't actually work when you open it, this is just how we change the permissions attached to the file.
e. Go back to the terminal and type the following the code below, hitting the enter/return key at the end of each line:
cd ~/Desktop
chmod 755 mark
open -a Finder /usr/local/bin

f. A new Finder window should open; drag the mark file into this folder.
g. Test to make sure mark was installed by typing
mark
followed by the enter/return key in the terminal. It should say "No input file was specified, so MARK job is done."
fbude

Return to RMark