Abort error when opening .Rinp file created with export.MARK

posts related to the RMark library, which may not be of general interest to users of 'classic' MARK

Abort error when opening .Rinp file created with export.MARK

Postby jbauder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Hello,

I have seen a similar post to this issue but it was a slightly different issue so I was hoping to get some additional input. I have had the following error pop up in a couple different data sets when trying to import a .Rinp file from RMark into MARK (using a CJS model):

Error Code: 4 [ ]
Subsystem: VO-CODE
CallStack:
PARSE_OUTPUT: INIT (Line:247)
MYTOPAPPWIN: APPENDOUTPUT (Line:9)
MYTOPAPPWIN: FILENEWRMARK (Line:323)
APP: START (Line:1106)
START (Line:6)

In each case, the model runs perfectly in RMark and export.MARK will create a .Rinp file and both it and the .inp file look OK when viewed in a text editor. MARK will create the DBF, FPT, and CDX files but then this error will pop up asking if I want to abort MARK. It seems to only occur when I include certain combinations of grouping covariates in my capture histories. When I only include one of the troublesome covariates in my capture history, fit the model in RMark, and then using export.MARK, everything works fine (the models also run fine in MARK in these cases). I have tried fitting and exporting multiple models from each capture history. But I still get this error if the capture history has both covariates regardless of the type of model fit.

Does anyone have any ideas why this error might be occurring? It seems very odd that some covariates in the capture history would be causing this...?

Thanks,
Javan
jbauder

Re: Abort error when opening .Rinp file created with export.

Postby jlaake » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:25 pm

This is something that Gary will have to answer because I have no way to debug the MARK interface. Can you try another example say with the dipper data and add some covariates to it to see if it is specific to your example or has something to do with 2 covariates. Is it a specific covariate that causes the problem or any 2 covariates? What covariate names are you using? Are they less than 10 characters?

--jeff
jlaake

Postby jbauder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Jeff,
Just getting back to the forum! I will give this a try with the dipper data to see if I can reproduce the error. As far as I can tell, it only happens when specific combinations of covariates are used. Now that you mention it, I think they may have had similar names, like Age and AgeClass, or Group2 and Group3. That might be part of the problem...? I think all the covariate names have been under 10 characters.
Thanks!
Javan
jbauder

Postby jbauder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:44 pm

An update on this thread: I thought similar covariate names might be contributing to the problem (e.g., Age3 and Age4) so I changed the column names so as to have as little overlap as possible and to not include the default column names (e.g., age, time, cohort, etc.) on the design data. I also made sure any covariate names were 9 characters or less.
Unfortunately, I still got the Abort error. Which makes me wonder if having grouping covariates that are very similar (e.g., differ by only a small number of individuals, like a three-level vs. four-level factor for a covariate like Age) is the issue. Since very similar covariates cause this issue, I have just been determining which covariate is best supported in RMark and then exporting the .Rinp file with the best supported covariate.
jbauder

Return to RMark