popan.derived - delta method

posts related to the RMark library, which may not be of general interest to users of 'classic' MARK

popan.derived - delta method

Postby SoConfused » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 am

Hello,

I ran a popan model in RMark, with 2 grouping variables (Var1 and Var2, two levels for each) and 8 occasions. I can get the N (by the 2 grouping variables and the 8 occasions) and the N by occasion (summed across the grouping variables) using popan.derived. However, I want to calculate N by occasion and by Var1 (=summed across Var2). I used deltamethod.special to try and calculate the correct SEs.

A quick test of the code (with the Var1 loop removed, so that there's only by-occasion calculation) against the N by occasion that is provided by popan.derived showed that my code works perfectly for Occasion 1, but fails for further occasions (=the mean estimates are correct, but the SEs are not). I'm guessing that I'm grabbing the wrong bits from the vcv matrix, but can't figure out how to fix that.

The variable data1.results is a list of MARK models; data1.proc is the processed dataset.

Code: Select all
derived <- popan.derived(x = data1.proc, model = data1.chat.results)

# calculate N by HW and occasion; SEs are calculated using the Delta method
out <- list()
k <- 1
for(var1 in c("A", "B")){
   for(i in unique(derived$N$Occasion)){
      id <- which(derived$N$Var1 == var1 & derived$N$Occasion == i)
      mat <- derived$N.vcv[id, id]
      se <- deltamethod.special("sum", derived$N[id,]$N, mat)
      out[[k]] <- data.frame(Var1 = var1, Occasion = i, derived$N = sum(derived$N[id,]$N), SE = se)
      k <- k + 1               }}
out <- ldply(out, data.frame)      

Any help would be appreciated.
SoConfused

Re: popan.derived - delta method

Postby jlaake » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Please try it with the dipper data example in popan.derived so I can work with you on this. Let me know what you get. email me directly at jefflaake@gmail.com

--jeff
jlaake

Re: popan.derived - delta method

Postby jlaake » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:59 pm

The problem encountered here was caused by a bug in popan.derived which was returning an incorrect value for N.vcv when a marklist was specified for model averaging. It did not affect any other results. This has been fixed in version 2.2.5 which is available at

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B77g1ScdUwVebHNZVFdLV0U5QTA

for Windows users. It will be included in the next version released to CRAN.

--jeff
jlaake

Return to RMark