*.tmp I/O error in RMark simulations

posts related to the RMark library, which may not be of general interest to users of 'classic' MARK

*.tmp I/O error in RMark simulations

Postby ganghis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to run some simulations that involve fitting some Huggins-Alho type models via RMark and am running into some vexing errors. Here's an example:

"Could Not Find C:\Users\paul.conn\git\Alisauskas\*.tmp
Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :
cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :
cannot open file 'C:/Users/paul.conn/git/Alisauskas\markxxx3a68224064f5.tmp': Permission denied

Problem extracting output. Look at MARK output file to see what is wrong."

One of the vexing things is that it is not repeatable. Sometimes it happens after fitting ~8 different models to various datasets, and sometime it happens after fitting ~400 different models to various datasets even if I use the same random number seed. It has happened if run in the RStudio GUI, or in DOS batch mode. I'm using RMark 2.2.2, R version 3.3.2 x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit), running on Windows 7 x64. MARK is version 8.1, which looks like Gary compiled on 12/25/16 (what a scrooge!).

Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance.
-Paul Conn
ganghis

Re: *.tmp I/O error in RMark simulations

Postby Bryan Hamilton » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:14 pm

You've no doubt tried this but....

Sometime when RMark and Mark are acting "buggy", I close RMark and start over. This isn't very satisfying but it has got me around error messages and strange, non-repeatable behavior. One of the great things about RMark is that all my work is saved and I don't lose anything except a bit of time.

There's a limerick in there somewhere about compiling on Christmas.
Bryan Hamilton

Re: *.tmp I/O error in RMark simulations

Postby jlaake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I ran Paul's code on my machine and it ran 1000 sims to completion without any problems. We communicated off-list and decided that the problem may be due to his file system setup which gets backed up to a network drive and could be causing some timing issues. It could certainly create the lack of repeatability. Paul had fixed his random seed so if it was a problem with RMark/MARK it should have been consistent.

As a workaround I suggested that he use the try function in R which lets you trap errors so it doesn't abort the set of runs. This can be useful in many different cases so it is a good function to explore and learn.

regards --jeff
jlaake

Return to RMark