MARK crashes during Rmark import

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

MARK crashes during Rmark import

Postby tontym » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to import an .Rinp file into MARK to calculate c-hats for a multi-state model I ran in RMark, similar to these past posts:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3629
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3837

Every time I attempt to import my multi-state model, MARK crashes. Unlike the other past posts, I don't see any error messages, MARK just closes after a few minutes. Please let me know if there is a way to access the error messages. MARK does create a DBF, FPT, and CDX file in the same desktop folder when I attempt to import the .Rinp file. If I try to open the DPF file in MARK I get this error message:
Error Code: 50 []
Subsystem: VO-CODE
Error Subcode:5333
Function:
Argument NUmber: 3
CallStack:
MYTOPAPPWIN:FILEOPEN (Line:109)
MYTOPAPPWIN:OPENFILE (Line:3)
APP:START (LINE:1141)
START (Line:6)

I have followed the recommendations in those posts. My files are on a folder on the desktop on my personal computer where I have access permissions. I ran the examples with the dipper, mallard, and mstrata data and they all worked normally. I delete all the files in the desktop folder every time.

My multi-state model has a large number of parameters - I have 44 weekly occasions, three states, two groups, four seasonal temporal constraints (11 weeks per season), and some parameters are fixed. I am on a Windows 10 machine with 16 gb ram using MARK version 6.2 Build 9200, RStudio Version 1.4.1106, R version 4.0.2, RMark 2.2.7.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide to help you help me!
tontym

Re: MARK crashes during Rmark import

Postby jlaake » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Is it possible for you to try on a different computer to see if that is the problem. At least one person found that to be the case when I reviewed all of the messages relevant to this subject. If that fails this is something that Gary will have to address as I have no way of debugging it. If you want, send me (jefflaake@gmail.com) the .Rinp, .inp and the output file and I'll look at them to see if I see anything obvious.

--jeff
jlaake

Re: MARK crashes during Rmark import

Postby jlaake » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 pm

I worked this out with Monica off list. The problem was the number of fixed parameters. If you are setting lots of Psi parameters to 0, use the argument mlogit0=TRUE in the call to mark or mark.wrapper. This will reduce the number of real parameters and the number of fixed parameters. Also, your models will run much more quickly.
jlaake

Return to software problems/news