Running Mark on a cloud hosted VM

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

Running Mark on a cloud hosted VM

Postby outboard » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:39 am

I ran a search on this site and could find no information on this topic... I have a substantial data set stored on Google Cloud Platform (GCP). While I can download the data and run Mark/RMark locally, I'm interested in running it on a GCP virtual machine as this would mitigate a rather complicated workflow and speed up processing. The general thought being: run an instance of R on the VM and analyze data using the `rmark` package.
* Is this an acceptable use (ie license compliant) of Mark and are there any limitations here (#cores etc)
* If allowable, has anyone had any experience actually doing so.
Thanks!
outboard

Re: Running Mark on a cloud hosted VM

Postby cooch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 pm

No licensing restrictions to speak of. The challenge will be setting directory paths correctly (MARK might barf on those), and getting the temp files written out correctly, to a place they can be written. MARK normally puts the temp files it generates in the same directory where the .inp file sits.
cooch

Re: Running Mark on a cloud hosted VM

Postby outboard » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm

No license restrictions is good, vomiting on filepaths - not so much. Thanks for the information. If no one is doing this there is probably a good reason. Well, I'll dive in and see, however, will likely wind up in over my head pretty quick. Dont cost nothin to try though... :shock:
outboard

Return to software problems/news