MARK crashing when exporting to Excel

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

MARK crashing when exporting to Excel

Postby nperlut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm

MARK keeps crashing when I try to export either a table of model results or single model results to Excel. I updated my version (I was and am current). I get the following message when it crashes:
Error Code: Method of object failed
Subsystem: ExcelStart
Error Subcode: 1
Function: INITITALIZE
Description: Method of object failed
CallStack
Exceldialog:Postinit (line:10)
Exceldislog:Init (line:15)
Display_results:Resultstabletoexcel (Line:97)
App:Start (Line:1131)
Start (Line:6)

Any thoughts? Thanks,

noah
nperlut

Re: MARK crashing when exporting to Excel

Postby gwhite » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 pm

I just discovered this same problem. Will work on a fix shortly.
Gary
gwhite

Postby gwhite » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 pm

I think this issue started when I got a new computer and created a new version of MARK on it. I've got to go back to my old computer and see if everything works appropriately there, and then figure out what happened with the new computer.

In the mean time, there is a work around for most of the Excel exports -- use the Copy to Clipboard, and then open an Excel spreadsheet and paste in the clipboard.

Gary
gwhite

Postby nperlut » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Ok thanks!
nperlut

Postby gwhite » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 am

One thing to try -- run MARK as administrator. You can set this property by right-clicking the MARK icon.

Gary
gwhite

Postby nperlut » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Unfortunately running as administrator did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks,

noah
nperlut

Postby cooch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:12 pm

These sorts of 'it doesn't work' posts are frustrating for all concerned. Here, for example, I can't replicate the problem you describe. At all. I tried MARK on 7 different computers, 2 different operating systems (Win 7 and Win 10), and 2 different flavours of Excel (2016, 2019). Heck, I even tried it under Win 10 running in a virtual machine on one of my Linux boxes. Worked properly, every single time.

So, the problem is likely 'something on your machine'. Best I can suggest is...boot your system into safe mode, start MARK (and only MARK), and try the export. If it works, then the problem is something (or, many things) that are running on your machine when running in 'normal' model. If that is the case, you're sort of on your own to do the detective work to figure out what is conflicting with the export DDE between MARK and Excel. I had a student once where an issue was caused by something as obscure as a slightly out of date sound driver.

But, worst case scenario: MARK -> clipboard -> Excel should always work.
cooch

Return to software problems/news