Capture.exe not found

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

Capture.exe not found

Postby mcmahok » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am

Hi there
I have seen that this problem has been flagged already, however the fixes suggested do not apply/work for me. I have never had a version of MARK installed on my computer so there isn't any old versions to remove. I've tried the link for the most stable version but the page doesn't exist. Any help much appreciated.
mcmahok

Re: Capture.exe not found

Postby cooch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 am

mcmahok wrote:Hi there
I have seen that this problem has been flagged already, however the fixes suggested do not apply/work for me. I have never had a version of MARK installed on my computer so there isn't any old versions to remove. I've tried the link for the most stable version but the page doesn't exist. Any help much appreciated.

Its quite difficult to decipher your question(s), but

1\ program CAPTURE is largely deprecated, since closed population abundance estimation in MARK is far more flexible and 'current'. The only reason I can see for running CAPTURE is if you really must generate estimates using a few models which are available in CAPTURE only.

So, if you (really) want CAPTURE, then

2\ install MARK, which installs CAPTURE at the same time (and, in fact, there is a menu option for running CAPTURE from within MARK).

3\ not sure what page you're looking at for the 'most stable' version, or, in fact, what software you're referring to (I'll assume MARK, since you're posting in the MARK sub-forum). One option for MARK downloads is here: http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/downloads/

The maintainer of said page assures me that the links are working just fine. ;-)
cooch

Postby mcmahok » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 am

Sorry perhaps I needed to be clearer, I am trying to install MARK for the first time and every time I try it gives an error and says Capture.exe not found
mcmahok

Postby cooch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm

mcmahok wrote:Sorry perhaps I needed to be clearer, I am trying to install MARK for the first time and every time I try it gives an error and says Capture.exe not found

Well, perhaps not surprisingly, I can't replicate the problem -- I just tried a 'clean install' on 3 different machines (two running Win 7, one running Win 10), no problems. These sorts of problems are tough to diagnose -- since they happen so rarely (<1% of installs), and are almost always 'machine dependent'. The only suggestion I can make is (i) try an install after turning off your anti-virus software, and if that fails (ii) try an install from within Windows Safe mode.

Best of luck!
cooch

Postby mcmahok » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 am

Just an update for this, it was an administrative rights issue, I was installing on a networked computer and my profile was not syncing, hence my admin privileges weren't in place, it's all good now. Sorry for the confusion
mcmahok

Return to software problems/news