MARK source code available?

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

MARK source code available?

Postby telensky » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 am

Is there MARK source code available?

(since there is no documentation and some features are really not documented well in the MARK book - for example, what is MARK doing with the dots in the capture history in the CJS models, how exactly is that handled statistically etc., I wanna see if this could be used for model validation which currently doesn't allow it etc... so basically I would like to see MARK source to understand more what it does.)
telensky

Re: MARK source code available?

Postby cooch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:09 am

telensky wrote:Is there MARK source code available?

No...

(since there is no documentation

Really, no documentation? Relative to what?

and some features are really not documented well in the MARK book

A fair comment. Its a never-ending enterprise.

- for example, what is MARK doing with the dots in the capture history in the CJS models, how exactly is that handled statistically etc., I wanna see if this could be used for model validation which currently doesn't allow it etc... so basically I would like to see MARK source to understand more what it does.)

Unless you can read FORTRAN 90 (which is the language MARK is written in) at a very high level, the source code (all 46,833 plus lines of it, exclusive of the LINPACK libraries that are compiled in) isn't likely to reveal much that would help. And even if you do read FORTRAN (meaning, you're either >50 years old and come from an era where FORTRAN was the primary language, or a physicist, where FORTRAN is still the go-to language), 46,833 lines of code is a fair bit to 'read'. ;-)

If you really want to know how something works, simulate, experiment, and go from there. For CJS models, the 'hint' is the relationship between a 'missing interior samples' and 'unequal intervals' (which is covered in the book).
cooch

Return to software problems/news