Dec 25 2016 MARK not working on Windows 7/10

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

Dec 25 2016 MARK not working on Windows 7/10

Postby Eurycea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm getting a "dynamic memory low" error upon attempting to run MARK. Error code [11]
APP:Start (line:18)
Start (line:6)

I tried on two different computers.
Eurycea

Re: Dec 25 2016 MARK not working on Windows 7/10

Postby sbonner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:08 am

Hey Eurycea,

I encountered the same problem last week and reproduced it just now when I tried to check which version of MARK I was running so I could put that in my reply.

I was able to fix the problem both times by closing other apps. I was, however, able to reopen all of the apps once I had MARK up and running.

Hope that helps,

Simon
sbonner

Postby jprior » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 pm

I have been having this same issue intermittently lately (though I have had MARK on my computer for a couple of years). My (windows) solution has been to free up RAM (using the Task manager/Processes/End Process). It worked for me; I would be interested to know if it works for others.
jprior

Postby cooch » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:35 pm

[nag on]

These sorts of 'it doesn't work for me', or 'it only works for me if I do this' posts are the sorts of things which are not generally helpful at all -- particularly since neither Gary, nor I, nor the many hundreds of other users of the most recent version of MARK (either full GUI-based, or the standalone executable via RMark), can replicate the problem. [And I've tested latest MARK succesfully on the 7 machines I have, plus the other 100+ in our teaching lab -- nary a single problem, ever.]

So, what to do?

Simple. You need to report 'minimum sufficient details' (as per the request in the FAQ, and other places).

1\ exact flavor of the OS ('Windows 7' isn't sufficient. 'Windows 7 Pro with SP 2 installed' is).

2\ how much installed RAM is in your computer? And, how much is available when you try to start MARK. If you don't know how to figure that out, then find yourself a decent system profiler, or find someone more computer saavy to help you.

3\ is this related to trying to run Microsft Office? If yes, what Office components, and what flavor of Office -- 2010, 2013, 2016?

4\ do you have admin privelagrs on your machine, and was MARK installed/started at the same level of privelage?

5\ what AV software are you using? Does the problem persis if you temporarily turn the AV software off?

6\ if you can't get MARK to run at all, will it run in 'Safe Mode'? If you don't know how to start up the system in 'Safe Mode', time to find out how. Then, if it runs un 'Safe Mode', but not in full operating mode, then there is something running on your system that is causing the problem. At which point, the question is, is it something you start interactively before using MARK, or is it something the OS is loading before you even start anything else?

And so on. The only hope anyone has of finding a 'general' solution is if we can cross-collate various reports (based on the preceding level of detaul) to see if there is a common (and hence, 'general') factor that is potentially the source. For example, if everyone running into problems has (say() the same AV software installed, then maybe that (being the falvor of AV software) is the problem.

[/nag off]
cooch

Postby bacollier » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Dell Latitude E7450 with 64 bit I7 CPU 2.6ghz and 32gb ram running Windows 7.

I was able to cause the error, once, but it required me to have 2 version of open bugs running hard, multiple sessions of R running simulations, a SAS session running hard, plus opening everything program on my start menu and downloading massive data files in ArcMap before it finally bogged on me (and I was running some SA on a old dataset to see if I could crash it). I don't think my computer has ever worked that hard before :D

I tested on all kinds of lab computers downstairs, and some in my office, on both 7 and 10 and I cannot recreate the error other than the once above, sorry not more help. I have not checked if having a VPN or antivirus scanning has an impact though.

\bret
bacollier

Postby cooch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm

bacollier wrote:Dell Latitude E7450 with 64 bit I7 CPU 2.6ghz and 32gb ram running Windows 7.

Boat anchor...get a real computer. ;-)

I was able to cause the error, once, but it required me to have 2 version of open bugs running hard, multiple sessions of R running simulations, a SAS session running hard, plus opening everything program on my start menu and downloading massive data files in ArcMap before it finally bogged on me (and I was running some SA on a old dataset to see if I could crash it). I don't think my computer has ever worked that hard before :D

I tested on all kinds of lab computers downstairs, and some in my office, on both 7 and 10 and I cannot recreate the error other than the once above, sorry not more help. I have not checked if having a VPN or antivirus scanning has an impact though.

\bret

You brought up one of the more likely 'factors' -- as more and more people use laptops for their main (only?) work machine, and since many laptops come with only 4 Gb of RAM (and said laptops often also make it tricky to add more RAM), then it seems quite conceivable that if you're running multiple applications (including, and especially, MS Office, which is fairly notirous memory hog), that a RAM overhead limited to 4 Gb (some proportion of which is reserved for OS kernel functions) may simply not have enough 'left' to also run MARK. I can't test this hypothesis directly since the minimum in any of my machines is 8 Gb (16 -> 32 in most of the bigger machines), but I would hazard the guess, at least.

Thanks, Bret.
cooch

Postby sbonner » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:57 pm

1) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

2) 8.00 GB of RAM. I don't do heavy computing on this machine and checked the RAM load when this problem occurred. It was somewhere just over 50%.

3) It doesn't appear to be linked to MO.

4) Yes.

5) Windows Defender. The problem doesn't persist so it's hard to tell.

6) Safe mode. That must have been introduced when they removed the fancy cupholder from my computer.

And so on...
Surface Pro 4
Intel i5-6300U

I can't reproduce the problem at all now, and I actually believe that the dynamic memory warning is spurious. Windows will sometimes warn me about memory being low when I bring it out of standby. At worst, I have some faulty memory. At best, it's Windows having trouble figuring out much memory is actually free. My money is on the second option because the memory on a surface is soldered onto the motherboard.

I don't think it's worth the time to figure this out unless there is a systematic problem. However, I do think it's useful for others to know that I could fix it by closing some other apps.
sbonner

Postby bacollier » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:28 pm

sbonner wrote:
6) Safe mode. That must have been introduced when they removed the fancy cupholder from my computer.

A cupholder, man, you Canada profs get all the perks! :D
bacollier

Return to software problems/news