major new feature enhancement in MARK | individual RE

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

major new feature enhancement in MARK | individual RE

Postby cooch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Well, not so new (as the new stuff' has been in MARK for a while), but, now documented.

A variety of data types in MARK now have the additional option of integrating out (i.e., 'accounting for') heterogeneity that is continuous over the sample, using numerical intgration based on Gauss-Hermite quadrature (which I believe was first used by Brett McClintock in his early mark-resight papers). Gary has programmed GH into a *slew* of data types, so now, for some parameters, you can 'account for' individual hetergoeneity in a way that is different, potentially better, or at least (arguably) in a more biologically meaningful way, than using 'discrete-mixtures', which in many cases is arguably an ad hoc kludge solution to the problem (albeit, one that seems to work in many situations).

The starting point for exploring this stuff is in Chapter 14, section 14.7. Have a read of the first 4-5 paragraphs, and then jump to subsection 14.7.2, which focusses on continuous mixture models using GH integration -- in the context of closed abundance estimation. Then, look at the Addendum to chapter 14, which provides a (for the moment, brief) introduction to the other models where GH quadrature has been implemented (I'll add multiple examples for some data types at some point).
cooch

Return to software problems/news