MARK crashes - bug?

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

Re: MARK crashes - bug?

Postby AdamC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Reading through the forum when the issue first started on my machine caused me to despair at finding a solution to the error. It seemed random enough that I finally just attributed it to "cosmic rays". But then two other machines in our lab developed the same problem... So it's either something we cause or or as you say some bits of weirdness with our systems. We're a Forest Service research station so our machines are USDA issued: maybe that's the common denominator?

I do have some renewed hope that the issue will be diagnosed since it seems to have reemerged in the latest release.
AdamC

Postby cooch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 pm

AdamC wrote:Reading through the forum when the issue first started on my machine caused me to despair at finding a solution to the error. It seemed random enough that I finally just attributed it to "cosmic rays". But then two other machines in our lab developed the same problem... So it's either something we cause or or as you say some bits of weirdness with our systems. We're a Forest Service research station so our machines are USDA issued: maybe that's the common denominator?

I do have some renewed hope that the issue will be diagnosed since it seems to have reemerged in the latest release.

There is a strong tendency for the few bug reports of this type to be based on *government* machines -- which are often strictly locked down, with all sorts of 'security' features which might get in the way (for example, it isn't hard to create a security policy that prevents non-signed, non-commercial applications from running. I tried to install a particular open-source PDF reader I use all the time on a colleagues machine (USGS), and it absolutely refused to open).

Get your IT folks to allow you to boot an offending machine into Safe Mode. If MARK runs, then something is being loaded when full Windows boots up that is causing the problem. If it is security policy related, such things are typically logged, although finding out *where* can be challenging.

Good luck!
cooch

Postby AdamC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 pm

So we found a solution that works on our machines and may help other folks with this problem. We ran it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2). To do that, right click on the desktop shortcut for MARK, select Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and select the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Thanks for the help.
AdamC

Postby RebAlumni » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:39 am

AdamC wrote:So we found a solution that works on our machines and may help other folks with this problem. We ran it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2). To do that, right click on the desktop shortcut for MARK, select Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and select the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Thanks for the help.

Confirmed that this worked for me, as well. I am also using a govt. system that most likely had group policies affecting it.
RebAlumni

Postby mjgould » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey All,

I wanted to add another data point to this problem. I just tried firing up MARK today (my first time in a year with no issues prior to today) and I received this unusual error, too. I'm a student at a university and don't have any restrictions on what software I can load on my machine compared to folks with government agencies. However, I did try AdamC's advice and selected the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box. MARK fired right up after that.

Edit:
Windows 7
32 GB RAM
Intel Xeon 3.30 GHz
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
Last edited by mjgould on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjgould

Postby egc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:42 am

mjgould wrote:Hey All,

I wanted to add another data point to this problem. I just tried firing up MARK today (my first time in a year with no issues prior to today) and I received this unusual error, too. I'm a student at a university and don't have any restrictions on what software I can load on my machine compared to folks with government agencies. However, I did try AdamC's advice and selected the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box. MARK fired right up after that.

The utility of this (and related posts) would be improved considerably if it also included information about the hardware, software environment. At minimum: (1) what flavour of Windows, (2) how much RAM, (3) what sort of AV software are you running...
egc
Site Admin

Postby aswea » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 am

In case it's helpful, this bug also began happening to me last week. I have a Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit i7 with 8GB RAM and I'm using Webroot Secure Anywhere antivirus. I had just been running models using RMark through RStudio when the error last occurred and I couldn't start Mark. I right clicked on the Mark icon and selected Run As Administrator and Mark started up perfectly. Thanks for the advice on how to get around this bug.
aswea

Postby cooch » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Finally had my hands on a computer where this particular bug occurs -- a Win 10 machine of recent vintage. I tried re-installing an older version of MARK, and the error persists (suggesting the problem isn't lkely due to a new feature in the MARK GUI -- of which there have been several), but, more likely, some recent tweak/chnge in Win 10, interacting with one or more programs/utilities/drivers on said machine (it isn't Win 10 generically, since it does run run on most Win 10 machines -- just not all of them). While figuring out exactly which element of the Win 10 environment is conflicting with MARK might be a fun exercise, it is far simpler to, as suggested, simply set MARK to run in compatability mode.

So, simply right-click the MARK icon, select the 'Compatability' tab, and have MARK run in either Win 7 or Win 8 compatability mode. Seems to do the trick.
cooch

Previous

Return to software problems/news