Models not running II

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

Models not running II

Postby TerryK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:47 am

Dear PRESENCE users.

My problem of models not running seems to follow that posted by Leejiah (02 July 2016), however is not solved by the reply offered by JHines (06 July 2018).

I’m using Presence 2.12.12 on a LENOVO LapTop running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1, and following the tutorial by running the simple psi(.)p(.) model on the Blue_Ridge_pg99.csv data as supplied. I have intentionally saved the project and data to ‘user permitted’ areas, such as C:\users\myname\desktop and the C:\Data directory permitted by our IT section.

Similar to Leejiah, I can track progress in the DOS-like screen right up to saving the project, and then attempting to run the simple model. This is the last output from the command window, with no output returned to the Results Browser :

>>>>>>>>>>>>>method option:0 no=5
-,a1,
psi,1,
-,b1,
P1[1],1,
P1[2],1,
P1[3],1,
P1[4],1,
P1[5],1,
2 0 0
3 0 0
4 0 0
5 0 0
C:\Progra~2\Presence\presence.exe i="blue_ridge_salamander.pao" l="pres_psi(.)_p(.).out”
name="psi(.).p(.)" j="blue_ridge_salamander.dm"
opening:pres_pres_psi(.)_p(.).out

Just to add confusion (and embarrassment) to my problem, this ‘no output’ situation occurred on more than 70% of our LapTops at a recent training course. I could not isolate the cause down to any particular machine type, software version (2.12.12 or 2.12.14) or install directory fault. I have also had no success when I logged onto my LapTop as a full Administrative User and ran the software with so-called Super User status.

However, and just to add to my confusion, PRESENCE runs quite happily on my work DeskTop PC (same operating system and low user privileges as my unsuccessful work laptop); PRESENCE also runs happily on personal home DELL LapTop running Windows 10.

I have my Department's IT people looking into the situation from a 'privileges' perspective between DeskTop and LapTop, but I wanted to also ask the list if anyone has come across the same problem.

Any insights to the possible cause of this problem would be greatly appreciated, especially before the next training course in a couple of months. I have full screen capture documents from the successful DeskTop, and from the unsuccessful LapTop attempts, should anyone want to view them.

Cheers, Terry
TerryK

Re: Models not running II

Postby jhines » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 am

Hi Terry,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty running Presence on your laptop(s). Perhaps we can find the problem interactively via Skype/Hangouts/Phone. Please email me (jhines@usgs.gov) for my contact info.

Jim
jhines

Postby Alan Dextrase » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Just wondering if you were able to solve this one - I am having the same problem after migration to Office 365. Thanks.

Alan
Alan Dextrase

Postby jhines » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi Alan,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with PRESENCE. The original poster resolved the problem after re-imaging the laptop, so he never found out what caused the problem. Perhaps the first thing would be for you to send me a screen-shot of the command window when the problem occurred. If you'd like to email me directly, send it to "jhines229@gmail.com". If you'd like to chat about it, my skype usersname is "jhines229".

Jim
jhines

Postby Alan Dextrase » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Solved by telling the program where to find the presence.exe file, using the menu, "Tools/Specify location of Presence.exe" - it was looking in the wrong place. Thank you Jim!

Alan
Alan Dextrase

Return to software problems/news