problems with data entry

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

problems with data entry

Postby Lea » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:19 pm

I am getting a message that tells me that I have missing data but when I look at the cells indicated I can't seem to find any problems. Anyone willing to take a look?
Lea

Re: problems with data entry

Postby jhines » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:21 am

Hi, I'd be happy to take a look. Just send me the file off-list.

Jim
jhines

Postby jhines » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Lea,

Site number 3 has missing data for all surveys except survey 33, which contains a '0'. A couple of the site covariates have missing data for site 3, so the program is trying to warn you that a model which estimates occupancy or detection as a function of that covariate won't have a covariate value for that site. If all surveys for that site contained missing data, it wouldn't be a problem. So, you won't be able to use that covariate, unless you can enter a value for that site. The same holds true for a few of your survey covariates (you have presence/absence data for a site/survey, but no covariate value for the site/survey).

Some folks will replace the missing covariate data with the mean or median value of the other sites. Others will just delete that site. It's up to you. If you ignore the warning and run a model which uses those covariates, PRESENCE will plug in a very large negative number for the covariate.

Models which use no covariates, or covariates which don't containe missing data will be unaffected by this warning.

Jim
jhines

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks Jim! Sorry I didn't see this post when I replied to your email. That fixed the problem.
Lea
Lea

Return to software problems/news