trouble pasting from Excel

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

trouble pasting from Excel

Postby jhines » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:36 pm

I'm posting this here in case anyone else runs into this problem. A user was unable to paste data into the PRESENCE input form after copying from Excel. The problem seemed to be related to other software running at the time. The solution was to close all other applications, and the application which seemed to be causing the problem was either Internet Explorer, or Firefox. I don't know why these applications would interfere with the clipboard, but closing them seems to solve the problem.

Jim
jhines

Re: trouble pasting from Excel

Postby lrohrbaugh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

I’ve been using PRESENCE for a few years, and I am not sure why I am now having this issue. I got a new computer and re-downloaded the program and now when I go to enter my covariate data, I am having an issue. For example, my first covariate is a type of lure I use and I am cutting and pasting out of Excel the data. However, I usually copy that column out of each survey and paste it into that tab, but when I go to do that this time, it changes the columns from 8 to 1 and asks me to rename the covariate. I am trying to avoid re-organizing everything in Excel or having to enter everything into PRESENCE manually.

Thank you for your help.
lrohrbaugh

Postby cooch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:12 pm

lrohrbaugh wrote:I’ve been using PRESENCE for a few years, and I am not sure why I am now having this issue. I got a new computer and re-downloaded the program and now when I go to enter my covariate data, I am having an issue. For example, my first covariate is a type of lure I use and I am cutting and pasting out of Excel the data. However, I usually copy that column out of each survey and paste it into that tab, but when I go to do that this time, it changes the columns from 8 to 1 and asks me to rename the covariate. I am trying to avoid re-organizing everything in Excel or having to enter everything into PRESENCE manually.

Thank you for your help.

There were some recent isues with the URL for PRESENCE on the main download site point at an out-of-date version of PRESENCE. The current version is PRESENCE 9.7. If that isn't the version you have (especially if you have 6.9), chance are this is the root of the problem.

Jim Hines email yesterday saying the 'URL problem' was resolved, and that 9.7 is now the current download.
cooch

Postby lrohrbaugh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 am

Hi Jim and Darryl,

I do have the 9.7 version. The way I have things set up in my Excel is by survey, so I go to each survey, cut the covariate information I need from there and paste it into Presence. However, this year, when I go to do that , since it is only one column at a time in a tab that needs 8 columns, it changes the number of columns to one (not in the row of information above the matrix). It also asks me to rename the covariate. I cannot figure out how to make it stop doing that so I do not have to go back to Excel and change the way everything is in there to cut and paste all 8 samples for that covariate.

I have no idea if that makes any sense, but if not, I'll try to explain it better. And I'll keep trying to see what I can do here.

Thanks again.
lrohrbaugh

Postby jhines » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:44 am

Try this: after pasting in your column of covariate data, change the number of survey covariates (in the top row of input boxes) back to 8. The deleted columns should re-appear with the data still there.

Jim
jhines

Postby darryl » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Is this a site-specific or survey-specific covariate you're trying to paste in?
darryl

Postby lrohrbaugh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am

Hi Jim and Darryl,

It does it for every tab, but the one's where I paste individually are survey-specific covariates. So I go to Excel and copy that specific covariate from each survey and paste it into Presence. But that's when the trouble starts. If I have 4 surveys, I paste the covariate for each survey individually and it gets rid of the other columns. It is not changing the number up top, however. I can go to Edit - Add sample covariate table and it will add another column, but it asks me each time to rename the covariate tab, which I cancel out of. But when I do this, not only does it add a column to that tab (which helps to get all the covariates for each survey in) but it adds a whole other tab at the end, so if I go to get rid of those, it deletes everything out of the other sample covariate tabs that I have added.
lrohrbaugh

Postby jhines » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:49 am

I see what you mean now. I expected folks to paste individual columns in the site-covariate table, but not the sample-covariate table.

I've modified PRESENCE and uploaded a new version (9.8) which allows pasting individual columns in the sample-covariate table.

Jim
jhines

Postby lrohrbaugh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Thank you so much!
lrohrbaugh

Return to software problems/news