Error reading model results

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

Error reading model results

Postby birdman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:16 pm

When I try to look at the model results after a run, i.e. right click the model, select 'View model outputs', I get a blank notepad and an error, "The system cannot find the path specified." I thought maybe my older version had been corrupted so I downloaded 8.3, uninstalled the old, and did a clean install. I still get the error, and I get it whether I try to pull up a model from an older run, or I create a new analysis file and run a fresh model, e.g. the 'Blue_Ridge_pg99.pao' example for single season occupancy. The model seems to run correctly, I get appropriate values for the AIC, deltas, etc. (assuming I run a second model) but no model results.

Anyone run into this, and if so, what is the underlying problem you've found, or resolution?

Thanks much,
Shane
birdman

Re: Error reading model results

Postby jhines » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 pm

It sounds like a problem with the path to the output file. Would you mind sending me a screen-capture of the cmd window (black background text window) just after trying to view the output? You might be able to get it to work by moving the project folder to another location on your disk (preferably a location which doesn't have any special characters in the pathname).

Jim (jhines@usgs.gov)
jhines

Postby jhines » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:49 pm

After viewing the cmd window, I think the problem is that you're trying to create files in the PRESENCE/sample_data folder (c:\program files(x86)\presence\sample_data. All files and folders in the 'c:\program files(x86)' folder (or c:\program files) are write-protected by Windows. That means that Windows will not allow you to create or modify files in any subfolder to that one. Try copying the blue_ridge_pg99_project folder to your 'Documents' folder and it should work. If not, let me know.

Jim
jhines

Postby birdman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Just getting back to this today. Thanks Jim, that solved the problem. I didn't think about write-protection on those default directories, and hadn't set up a working directory since I was just running the examples. If I'd gone straight to my own analysis, the problem never would have arisen. Of course, multiple others likely would have...

Thanks again.
S
birdman

Return to software problems/news