Trouble running bootstraps

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

Trouble running bootstraps

Postby berghsm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 am

I just installed Presence 3.0 and have been unsuccessful when checking the box for "assess model fit" and running 1000 bootstraps. The program freezes except for the black command window, which cycles through numbers without ever stopping. I tried reinstalling into a different folder and that did not resolve the problem. Thanks.
berghsm

Re: Trouble running bootstraps

Postby darryl » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:45 pm

How big is your data set and how complicated is your model? How long have you left it running for? If there's action in the black window it's trying to do something; it may just be that it's taking a very long time to run. Trying running with only 5 bootstraps and see if you get something back within a reasonable length of time.

Cheers
Darryl
darryl

Postby dwc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:22 am

I seem to be having trouble with the assess model fit option as well. Where are the results output from the assess model fit supposed to appear? I ask because when I compare 0 bootstraps with that of 10 bootstraps for the same model, the results outputs are identical with the exception of the line "boot2=10" for the scenario where I specified 10 bootstraps. I am trying to assess the pre-defined model of time-varying p for a 40 sites, three surveys data set.
dwc

Postby darryl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm

The bootstrap methods for accessing model fit only works for a custom single season model. Set up the equivalent of the predefined model using the custom models instead. Results will appear at the bottom of the output. What version are you using as I though Jim Hines had disabled the 'assess model fit' option unless you were using the custom model?
Cheers
Darryl
darryl

Postby dwc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am using version 3.0 (beta) 27Jan2010 downloaded last week.
dwc

Postby darryl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Ok, something for Jim to tweak then. You need to use the custom model to assess model fit.
darryl

Postby berghsm » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Jim did help me with this and has posted the newest version on the website. It's working fine for me now so best of luck.
berghsm

Return to software problems/news