New version of PRESENCE (3.0 Beta)

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program PRESENCE

New version of PRESENCE (3.0 Beta)

Postby jhines » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I've uploaded a new version of PRESENCE to the Patuxent web-site at:

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/software/b ... esence.zip

This version should benefit users who have experienced long delays while the program reads the input and results files. This version stores the model output files and summary AIC table in a folder to allow quick access to any model.

A couple of new models have been added and some new features added. I will update the documentation soon.

Cheers,

Jim
jhines

Re: New version of PRESENCE (3.0 Beta) - problem installing

Postby jlehmkuhl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I installed this program successfully, but get an error when I start the program. I get a message that the application presence_int.exe failed to initialize because it could not find the file jvm.dll, and suggests trying to install again. That did not work. I do get both a "script" and a GUI window open. I have not tried to run an analysis to see if it all works, however. I also installed GENPRES and did not get this mesage. Can you help?
jlehmkuhl

Re: New version of PRESENCE (3.0 Beta)

Postby jhines » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm

OK, that's a good one! PRESENCE doesn't use jvm.dll (Java Virtual Machine) as it's a stand-alone executable file. What version of Windows are you using? Usually, when the setup routine finishes, it tries to run PRESENCE (presence_int.exe). Did you get the error when the setup routine tried to start PRESENCE? Or, did the setup routine finish and you got the error when trying to run PRESENCE from the START menu?

Jim
jhines

Postby jlehmkuhl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I am using Windows XP Professional - the Forest Service corporate version if that makes a difference. I got the message both when I started Presence at the end of the installation process, and when I started it from a desktop icon.
jlehmkuhl

Postby jhines » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:04 pm

It doesn't make sense to me. Presence and Genpres are compiled in very much the same way. If one works, the other should work as well. Have you tried installing on another Forest Service computer?

My suggestion is to try uninstalling the program, then installing it to a different location. With all of the security settings on government and university computers, I sometimes advise to install to a folder named 'c:\pgms\presence' instead of 'c:\program files\presence'. A lot of big corporations are really protective of the 'c:\program files' folder, so it can be a problem sometimes. Usually, though, it leads to 'access denied' error messages, not something about java virtual machine. If this doesn't work, try uninstalling again and installing to a usb flash drive.

Jim
jhines

Postby jlehmkuhl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

My colleague here got the same message on his laptop when he installed Presence today (we are getting ready to attend MacKenzie's workshop next week), but found that Presence seemingly ran OK with the Blue Ridge example data set. I'll try some of your fixes and see if the message goes away. If not, it appears Presence may still work on our machines. Thanks for the help.
jlehmkuhl

Postby jhines » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 pm

So, after the message, the program works?
jhines

Return to software problems/news