multiple seasons using a single season occupancy approach

questions concerning analysis/theory using program PRESENCE

multiple seasons using a single season occupancy approach

Postby rachelselwyn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 pm

HI,
I have used a single season occupancy modelling approach to analyze 5 years of camera data that were unfortunately setup in such a sparse resampling method that a true multi season approach was not possible.
To adapt a single season approach to analyze multiple seasons, I stacked each subsequent season underneath the prior, essentially masquerading as additional sites (identified by a season covariate).

The same was done with my site covariates so that everything matched the now very long format.
I know this is something that has been done before, as it has come up in the forums now and then, however, it seems its always referred to in different terminology and I've had no luck finding this approach mentioned in any published papers.

I have now finished the analysis and am looking for some guidance for how to present outputs from this adaption of a single season. I was wondering if anyone knows any papers that have followed this approach, or if anyone knows a proper descriptor/name for this approach I could use to search for further advice?
Thanks,
-Rachel
rachelselwyn

Re: multiple seasons using a single season occupancy approac

Postby mdyson » Fri May 15, 2020 8:27 am

Hi Rachel,

I am using a similar approach of stacking years due to low sample size. I have found some good discussion here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... discussion on the unmarked google group.

Some papers I might recommend based on those discussions are:

Fuller, A. K., D. W. Linden, and J. A. Royle. 2016. Management decision making for fisher populations informed by occupancy modeling. Journal of Wildlife Management 80:794–802.

Linden, D. W., A. K. Fuller, J. A. Royle, and M. P. Hare. 2017. Examining the occupancy–density relationship for a low-density carnivore. Journal of Applied Ecology 54:2043–2052.
mdyson

Return to analysis help