spreasheet with some surveys without data

questions concerning analysis/theory using program PRESENCE

spreasheet with some surveys without data

Postby marioreyesjr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi, we have a 6 sampling sites (we use automated acoustic recorders to record quetzal's territorial songs in order to estimate its occupancy in national park) but some recorders start recording from april 18th and some others from april 22 at the same time some recorders stop working at may 19, may 20 and the last three of them until june 6.

my question is, do i have to use only the dates when all of them where working simultaneously so i have an even spreadsheet (without blank spaces) ?

or, can i just fill the spreadsheet with "0" (no presence) the dates of the sites where we have no data in order to include the data from the recorders which started working earlier?

I'm working with PRESENCE, so the spreadsheet i talked about is the one i export from excel to PRESENCE.

Thanks a lot.....
marioreyesjr

Re: spreasheet with some surveys without data

Postby jhines » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:37 pm

No, you can use all of the dates. Just enter '-' in the spreadsheet for dates when the recorder wasn't working. Entering '0' will indicate that you the recorder was on, but no birds were recorded. That will cause Presence to underestimate detection probability and overestimate occupancy.
jhines

Re: spreasheet with some surveys without data

Postby marioreyesjr » Mon May 04, 2020 1:21 am

Thanks! i realized i din't read enough before i made the question. sorry
marioreyesjr

Return to analysis help