Multi-season model--data input/design matrix issues

questions concerning analysis/theory using program PRESENCE

Multi-season model--data input/design matrix issues

Postby bobbyboucher » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:19 am

So I am very new to PRESENCE and rather confused already. I am currently running a multi-season model (6 surveys, 2 seasons). I have 10 site covariates and 20 sample covariates. My 20 sample covariate data was categorical, so I have converted all of them to indicator variables. After inputting all the presence/absence data, site covariates, and sample covariates, I have tried to Run Analysis>Multi-Season> Seasonal occupancy and detection, but the program responds saying that presence.exe has stopped working, followed by the error that “Presence encountered an error. Check input (.pao) and/or desing matrix (.dm) files” which leads to me to believe that it was a user error (not surprising). So I started to play around, by removing all of the sample and site covariates and adding them back one at a time, so I can figure out where the problem was, however, I can’t even run a multi-season model on the binomial presence/absence data alone. I am just rather lost and have read every data input and data matrix document I could find, yet I am still unsure what the issue is. I have tried different combinations in the Data Matrix under both the occupancy (constant, full identity, and individ.covariates) and detection tabs (season effect, within-season effects, individ.covariates, constant) and none of them work, I always receive the same error and/or presence stops working.

(For kicks and giggles, I converted my 6 survey, 2 seasons to 12 survey, 1 season and entered one of the sample covariates and it ran smoothly. So not sure what needs to be altered for multi-season)

Any pointers, help, or direction would be greatly appreciated. I want to ask more specific questions, but I am not sure what to ask...
bobbyboucher

Re: Multi-season model--data input/design matrix issues

Postby jhines » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:41 am

One thing to try is to run GENPRES with 6 surveys, 2 seasons and compare the generated data with your data and compare the generated design matrix file with your .dm file. If that doesn't work, you can send me your input .pao and .dm files.

Jim (jhines@usgs.gov)
jhines

Return to analysis help