C.I. for derived parameters of model averaged set

questions concerning analysis/theory using program PRESENCE

C.I. for derived parameters of model averaged set

Postby kyle.artym » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to derive confidence intervals for specific covariates. I calculated the model-averaged values from the back transformed values, as recommended in Darryl's workshop.

I used the Delta method to calculate SEs and CIs for each unique model, where the CIs are bound between [0,1]. However, I cannot find a formula to produce CIs for the model averaged parameter estimates.

Since values for psi are near 1 for some model average estimates, Y +/- (1.96*modelaveragedSE) are not bounded between [0,1].

Can you recommend a methodology to derive CIs for derived parameters of model averaged set that are bound between [0,1]. If this is not possible, could you recommend a satisfactory way of reporting these limits in the literature?

Thank you,

Kyle
kyle.artym

Re: C.I. for derived parameters of model averaged set

Postby darryl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:31 pm

No claims it's the perfect solution, but what I do is take the model-averaged estimate and SE, transform them onto the logit scale (good practice of the delta method), calculate the limits with +/- 1.96 logit(SE), then back transform the limits to the 0-1 scale. This will keep them within the boundaries.
Darryl
darryl

Postby kyle.artym » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Awesome, thanks Darryl!
kyle.artym

Postby cooch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:03 pm

darryl wrote:No claims it's the perfect solution, but what I do is take the model-averaged estimate and SE, transform them onto the logit scale (good practice of the delta method), calculate the limits with +/- 1.96 logit(SE), then back transform the limits to the 0-1 scale. This will keep them within the boundaries.
Darryl

Although not specifically considering an occupancy analysis, much of this thread, and Darryl's approach, are laid out in *much* detail in the MARK book (http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/docs/book/). See in particular Chapter 4, section 4.5.1, Chapter 6, section 6.16, and Chapter 11, section 11.8.
cooch

Postby Alan Dextrase » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Hello Kyle,

I created a simple spread sheet to automate the procedure that Darryl describes. if you send me an e-mail (alandextrase(at)trentu.ca), I can send it along.

Alan
Alan Dextrase

Return to analysis help