Residency Time Estimates

questions concerning analysis/theory using program MARK

Residency Time Estimates

Postby j.harv3y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 am

Hi, after reading the 15.8.7 of the mark book, I found the output of residency time estimates from my MSORD model.

There is a Method 1 Residency Time Estimates of the specified model and a Method 2. I can't seem to see an explanation of the differences between these methods (they also give very different estimates.)
Please could someone explain?
Many thanks,
j.harv3y

Re: Residency Time Estimates

Postby Bill Kendall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry, that chapter of the MARK book needs to be updated. You can find a more complete explanation of the MSORD model, including residence time, in Kendall et al. (2019, Ecological Monographs).

The gist, though, is that Method 1 uses both arrival time probabilities (pent) and persistence probabilities (phi), to estimate expected residence time. Moreover, it assumes that your sampling effort matches with the arrival of the first individuals and the departure of the last.

Method 2 is based only on persistence probabilities and makes sense to use when persistence is only a function of how long the individual has already been there (e.g., renesting for a sea turtle is only a function of how many clutches have been laid to date, a bird at a spring stopover is there only long enough to build up sufficient reserves for nesting, etc.).

More detailed assumptions can be found in the paper.
Bill Kendall

Re: Residency Time Estimates

Postby cooch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:14 am

Bill Kendall wrote:Sorry, that chapter of the MARK book needs to be updated.

Bill tells me he's 'working on a revision' for Chapter 15. :)
cooch

Return to analysis help