Coauthor for Analysis Help

questions concerning analysis/theory using program MARK

Coauthor for Analysis Help

Postby kencil » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Here's my situation: I am a late-career professor at a liberal arts college; my motivation for doing this work is purely to get it out there. I have published previously on various aspects of natural history of brown recluse spiders, a spider that gets a lot of press (often inaccurate) for the necrotic wounds that may result from a bite. However, I haven't done population analysis since my graduate work nearly 30 years ago. I have read the recommended "core" self-help chapters for MARK, but am not confident I could correctly do the analysis I would like to.

Here's a brief overview of the data I have so you can judge if this is something you'd like to be involved in, or if my data are even worth the trouble. I have data for 99 marked spiders with 100 subsequent "capture" (sighting) dates spanning two seasons of spider activity (May - October). I surveyed the population of marked spiders every 2-4 days so intervals between samples are unequal. Very few were recaptured in the second season (5%), but 66% were recaptured at least once overall. I also was able to document mortality for 10 individuals of the 99. If you are interested in helping me organize and analyze the data to determine overall survivorship and to compare male/female survivorship, that is my goal. Males are presumed to wander more widely than females and have lower survivorship, but this has not be demonstrated. In captivity, recluses can live more than 4 years.

If you think these data have some value and are willing to help me by, 1) checking to see if I am formatting the data correctly, and 2) judging which models are best, please contact me at kenc@monmouthcollege.edu, or call me at 309-457-2394. You will be the only other co-author with me on this study, to be submitted to Journal of Arachnology (but I am open to other suggestions). I would do the bulk of the writing. I would like to complete the analysis this summer if at all possible, but I'm flexible.

Ken Cramer
Dept. Biology
Monmouth College
Monmouth, IL 61462
USA
kencil

Return to analysis help