Co-authorship position

questions concerning analysis/theory using program MARK

Co-authorship position

Postby edward.doherty » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 am

To anyone interested in co-authorship,

I would like advertise a potential co-authorship position for my upcoming paper. Anyone interested should be experienced in MARK and (preferably) RMARK to help me with the statistics and results components. In exchange, we can discuss co-authorship or some other form of formal recognition. This paper is in association with the Maldives Whale Shark Research Programme (MWSRP) where I am currently employed.

This paper will investigate the population dynamics of the South Ari (Maldives) whale shark population and will likely be a well cited paper, given that the Maldives whale shark dataset hasn’t been officially analysed since 2008 (Riley et al., 2010). The South Ari Marine Protected Area (SAMPA) is a year-round aggregation site of predominantly juvenile males. Since 2006, our research team and our contributors (see the Big Fish Network (BFN)) has accrued a capture history of 300 whale sharks, which compromises >3200 individual observations. We have data on time, location, total length, behaviour, depth, number of people in the water, number of boats and a host of environmental variables for each and every encounter made by our research team.

I have tidied and organised the data in R to make it suitable for a robust design model setup. In theory it is ready to run. Ideally, the methodology should follow that of Holmberg et al. (2009), which involves looking at population size, structure and residency time. However, I would be interested in examining any additional parameters/covariates should they arise.

The applicant should be able to assist with:
-Selecting an appropriate model (I believe a robust design model would be the most powerful)
-Performing assumption tests for homogeneity
-Helping to set up the model design (PIM, cohorts, covariates, etc.)
-Help with the Methodology and Results sections of the paper
-Be open to answering frequent/semi-frequent emails and Skype calls

If you are interested, please email me at edward@maldiveswhalesharkresearch.org. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Edward Doherty
In-Field Coordinator and Marine Biologist
MWSRP

Holmberg, J., Norman, B., & Arzoumanian, Z. (2009). Estimating population size, structure, and residency time for whale sharks Rhincodon typus through collaborative photo-identification. Endangered Species Research, 7(1), 39-53.

Riley, M. J., Hale, M. S., Harman, A., & Rees, R. G. (2010). Analysis of whale shark Rhincodon typus aggregations near South Ari atoll, Maldives Archipelago. Aquatic Biology, 8(2), 145-150.
edward.doherty

Return to analysis help