Multistate Barker/Robust Design model (auxiliary data)

questions concerning analysis/theory using program MARK

Multistate Barker/Robust Design model (auxiliary data)

Postby chris_oosthuizen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 am

Dear list,

A number of studies have used the Barker/Robust Design model (Kendall et al. 2013, MEE) as implemented in Program MARK to derive demographic parameters. This method combines recapture data from marked individuals, collected at a single study site under a robust design framework, with dead recoveries and/or auxiliary resightings collected at any time and place during periods in-between the robust design primary periods. The use of auxiliary data such as live resightings improve survival estimates and precision.

To my knowledge, none of the studies that cite Kendall et al. (2013) used this method in a multistate framework (e.g., pre-breeders, breeders, non-breeders). I am no MARK expert, but it seems that the option to set ‘states’ is inactive when selecting “Barker Robust Design” (where I suspect this model is seated) and therefore, not currently possible.

This topic was discussed previously (in 2011) on this forum, (search “Resightings in multi-state models?”) but much may have changed in the interim. Bill Kendall suggested in the 2011 post that a multistate model with state uncertainty could be useful.

Suppose I have sightings of breeders at the breeding ground (imperfect detection, breeders only [state certain], robust design structure) and auxiliary sightings during winter (breeders and non-breeders, breeding state unknown).

How would I merge the information obtained during winter into the multistate model with state uncertainty? I am not familiar with this model, but it seems to me that the encounter history will be in the LLLLL format (and not LDLD as the Barker models). This means no ‘unique’ column(s) in the encounter history for sightings made outside of the breeding period.
Would this approach only work if every year is divided into two primary periods: one for the breeding season and one for winter?

Any comments will be much appreciated.
Chris

Kendall et al. 2013. doi: 10.1111/2041-210X.12077
chris_oosthuizen

Return to analysis help