Dead Recovery Analysis Clarification

questions concerning analysis/theory using program MARK

Dead Recovery Analysis Clarification

Postby Laurel » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 am

Hello Phidot Forum:

I am working on a long-term walleye dataset and running a Seber dead recovery analysis to estimate survival. Fish were tagged and released each spring (April-June) and then caught and reported throughout a 5-year period.

One of the variables of interest is a minimum length harvest limit which is implemented throughout the year except for July and August. In order to include this harvest limit in the model, I set up monthly capture histories and compared survival estimates during months with and without a harvest limit. My concern is this - if I am interpreting how dead recovery models work correctly, direct recoveries would only occur during the spring months when tagging occurs. This suggests to me that accurate estimates of survival in relation to months without a minimum length limit (July and August) would not be possible.
I am new to dead recovery models, and I would appreciate any help in understanding this better. Also, I tried to keep this post concise, but please let me know if I need to provide more information about the analysis or the dataset.

Thanks in advance!
Laurel
Laurel

Return to analysis help